1.15.2009

Not Feeling Creative!!

Ever have one of those moments when you know you should be creating something, but you just don't feel like it? I'm having one of those weeks!! Each night this week as I left my full time job I told myself that I really needed to go home and work on some new jewelry. Have I done it? Not really! I've managed to create a pair of earrings and bracelet this week so far. Not very good for business is it?? ;-)

I guess I need to get "inspired" and get to crackin' on creating some new items to add to my store. Lord knows I have plenty of supplies that are just screaming at me to design something.

As soon as I post this blog I plan on getting out some of my bead books and magazines and browsing the gorgeous work that appears on the many pages. I find this is one of the best ways for me to get inspired to create again. I see the unique designs and creations and think of new ways to re-create those designs or to use the color combinations. Or I'll look at some of the techniques they've used and I'll try use those same techniques that maybe I've haven't used before.

Not feeling creative is not a good thing for those of us who design and create of all types of crafts! But that does happen from time to time. We hit a creative block and must take a little time away to refresh and get re-energized.

I shared with you what I sometimes do to get creating again, why don't you share with the rest of us what you do when you get the same way! I'm sure we will all learn some great tips and ideas to get inspired.

Until next time--Blessings! ~ Dawn

7 comments:

  1. I have been in the same slump this week. I go thru my books; look thru my gallery of past designs; clean up my work area...that always seems to inspire me also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be in the air because I have been the same way this week. I usually just sit at my workstation and look at all my beads and then say "hey, that might look good". Then when I get all of it ready to go, another idea pops in my head and the first idea is out the door..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me that is the best time to clean my studio, work on any of the business and planning stuff, or to research new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely with you. I was like that for a few days. Now I am back and ready to roll. Sometimes you need that kind of break to get yourself back into it. I made up a termonology for it and its craft-itus, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was feeling inspired until my sales stopped. That can really kill the mood, but what I'm doing now is starting a watercolor series. Getting away from it temporarily and doing something else can help you get inspired again...and more sales on what you've got up there already does too. That way you don't actually lose money and waste time by listing items that just sit there and expire.

    I'm trying this as kind of an experiment and am interested to find out whether paintings sell better right now on Etsy than jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I'm not feeling creative, I just take a break from it all...I know it will come back soon, it always does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I'm feeling less than motivated, I like to look through my supplies, and go through my notebook of ideas... that always sparks me!
    It's also the time that I like to plan new collections or new lines for my shop.
    I just wish that I had more time.

    ReplyDelete